Thursday, September 6, 2012

I SPY

 Covert Affairs tv


As a child I longed for stability, family, and to be completely one of the gang.  Those were things sorely lacking in my young life. After many years of recovery, and therapy, I have learned to embrace the part of my experiences that made me who I am.   As an adult, one of my many fantasies is to be a part of the world  of espionage. I long to be a covert spy. It is my fantasy. I want to travel internationally, have access to money, to be a different identity at the drop of a hat, to hop a jet and go from Russia to Spain in a few hours. To walk among the tall new buildings of Berlin, stroll long side the Seine River in France, and to have a mission.

That is why I love is The Bourne Legacy films.  I don't love that Jason is thrown over board, or his girl is killed, but I love his ability to travel, the excitement and the adventure. So that brings me to a show I watch religiously. Covert Affairs, where Annie Walker (Piper Perabo)  is recruited by the CIA, while living at her sisters house. Her ex-boyfriend is being sought by the CIA, and so Annie is sent to the DPD (Domestic Protection Division) in order to help capture him. Other missions grow out of that beginning premise. Her cover is that she works for the Smithsonian Institute.

I have to say watching Annie, I get the feeling she is being slightly used.  Maybe that is how CIA views operatives. They have a purpose for them, and so it appears like using to me.  Annie is new, and one hell of an agent.  She is a cross between Gidget and Chuck Norris, perky and yet can pack one hell of a punch.
 

One person that seems to have her back is "Auggie" (Christopher Gorham), who is a special ops/ MI (military intelligence). He was blinded in Iraq and now handles tech ops for Annie. He is also her closest friend. Auggie is incredibly athletic, and has one hell of a body. He is extremely competent with what he does. I guess he would have to be to work CIA wouldn't he?  He was engaged, but when his fiance found out he was CIA, she broke up with him.
Her handler is the manager of DPD Joan Campbell (Kari Matchett). She is tough on Annie, to enable her to become a stronger agent. I have read she sees herself in Annie, though at times it doesn't appear like that. Joan is Married to her boss Aurthur Campbell (veteran actor Peter Gallagher). They actually work well together and appear to have a decent marriage. Joan's cover is that she works for World Bank. Now I thought Joan was tough until Annie was sent to Lena Smith's (Sarah Clarke) division. Lena sent Annie back  to DPD when she wasn't happy with her progress.
2003_strange_tv_series_009.jpg image by soophelia

Now we are caught up.  There is a lot of excitement this 3rd season. Annie has fallen in love with another spy she was sent to bring in Simon Fischer (Richard Coyle). Simon is suspected of killing CIA operative Jai Wilcox (Sendhi Ramamurthy).   Simon is handsome, rich, also a spy, with a great British accent, and he loves Annie. Who wouldn't love him right?  He loved her enough to kill his own handler in order to protect her. This year is dicey with the introduction of Lena Smith, and Simon Fischer. I can't say anymore I will give it away. So I just say WATCH the show!



No comments:

Post a Comment