Saturday, September 22, 2012

It's Gonna Be A Great Day at The SyFy Channel

SyFy

My shows are over this weekend.  The only bright spot is The 64th Emmy Awards on Sunday, too early for Dexter and Homeland, too late for Drop Dead Diva and Weeds.  Now I did see Treme, which I liked the first season, but I have not watched the shows on HBO, so I will have to do that another time.  When I flipped to the SyFy Channel on Saturday, I was as happy as a clam.  It is bug day on the SyFy Channel.  More of the wonderful movies they are famous for.

I can't wait for Saturday on SyFy.  For their first selection today they have Swarmed.  It is a SyFy pictures original, made in Canada. This is about a scientist Ken Horvath (Michael Shanks) who is trying to invent a pesticide for wasps.  He experiments on these 8 wasps. All but 2 are killed. The last 2 kill the janitor, one of the wasps is killed So there is one lonely wasp left who is trapped in the janitors mouth. When it is released, it goes on a killing spree.  Model Carol Alt plays a teacher/scientist Cristina Brown, who explains about pheromones to her students. Which sets up the premise of why bees and wasps keep attacking.  Between it being an election year, and having dirty politicians, and pesticide resistant wasps, the movie is chock full of twists and turns.

 infestation
There are so many good ones on today, I say get the popcorn and the tissue, as you will be laughing your heads off to the point of tears. I will be only writing bits on some them because who can cover 6-7 great campy films in my small blog?  Ok, next is Infestation, which is billed as comedic.  What do you do when wake up and a bug has wrapped you up in webbing? Well slacker Cooper (Chris Marquette) finds out in this film. There is an infestation of disgusting bugs, and Cooper hooks up with a group of survivors to take them on.  This one is supposed to have a surprise end, Soprano style.

Next are Growth and Arachnoquake, that is right you saw it correctly.  Lets talk about Arachnoquake After hurricanes Issac and Katrina, New Orleans area has had enough problems.  Now they have an earthquake in the area.  It releases a herd(?) of fire breathing spiders is going to take over Louisiana.  I can not wait for this film. Is the SyFy Channel ever going to run out of ideas for B movies? I think not.  This one has child star from Growing Pains, Tracey Gold in it as Katelynn.  Again kudos to SyFy for casting our former stars, giving them a job, and us a chance to see them again. Growth is about human evolution, and stars Charmed alum Brian Krause who plays Marco. Growth looks dark, and "The Ring" like in its setting.
 

 The next great one I can't wait to see is Camel Spiders.  I discovered camel spiders when I was researching the big wolf spider in my garage. It seems these middle eastern spiders, gnaw on you while you sleep.  The have like an anesthesia in their bite. So I can't wait to see this. It also stars Brian Krause from Charmed fame. He plays Capt. Sturges. It also has C.Thomas Howell from Southland fame. The thing about these spiders is they are huge. I am including a picture.  So this has got to be good.  I am taking bigger than a bread box. If you know that cliche.

Thank God for the SyFy channel or my addiction to having running TV would make me have to go cold turkey.  I might have to read a book.  I guess I could go out with friends, but like I said, I work on the weekends. Anyway there is one last movie I am pushing on SyFy today Ice Spiders. Just when you thought colder climates would keep you bug free, Lost Mountain resort is infested with gigantic spiders. They were produced by a governmental experiment and have escaped. So between eating everyone in sight, there is plenty of running and screaming to fulfill that horror craving. So tune in and have a great Saturday!! Oh by the way Brian Krause is not in this one. Someone else is I loved,  Steven J. Cannell.  He was a writer who worked on all kinds of TV shows, Mission Impossible, Adam 12, 21 Jump Street, Baretta, the A team, The Commish and tons more.  This was his last movie as he died in 2010.  Steven is an actor in this film. Have a great day!!


camel spider pic1

No comments:

Post a Comment