Tuesday, June 19, 2012

It is a Mad Men world

          I have been a  Mad Men fan since the inception of the drama. It reminds me of the grown up dramas that would come on when I was a child. At the time my attention span was 30 minutes long, which was long enough for Bewitched. Just as I was tired and getting ready to sleep there were these hour long dramas, like Ironside, or Columbo.  They felt a little out of my reach, and understanding, grownup, with grownup issues.  It was slightly enticing.

           When Mad Men came on, the smoky, alcohol infused drama was a fresh, brilliant addition to TV. Every year it seems to improve.  The development of Megan Draper (Jessica Pare), again a refreshing addtion to the cynical workaholic advertising execs.  I loved her birthday dedication to Don in the French song(Zou Bisou Bisou).  Her desire to act and the poignant scenes when she is rejected once again. Finally her excitement and gratitude when Don finally helps her win the commercial. Also Don's character takes on  a deeper tint in how he keeps trying to grow with Megan's desires for stardom. Watching him watch Megan do her screen test I was filled with a tenderness, as I could see how Don loved her, and knew doing this for her was the right thing. Yet Don felt left alone, so we will see if he can handle a wife who is independent.

              Another story line that was a blockbuster this season, is the rise of Joan Harris,(Christina Hendricks) Director of Agency Operations, superb.  Starting with her telling Greg, her estranged husband, to leave and not come back. Joan decided to spend the night with Herb Rennet, head of the dealers association, in order to get the Jaguar account. Before doing this Joan demands that she is made partner with 5% of the profits. I loved the development of her being a larger part of the agency instead of part of the administrative department

               Beth Dawes (Alexis Bledel)  has an affair with creepy Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser). Who by the way, is said to be light and funny in real life,  not at all creepy.  Though Beth goes through electroshock therapy and no longer remembers Pete, I am hoping that is a temporary occurrence, and that next year she will be back. It gives Pete a broader dimension, and I love Alexis Bledel (formerly Rory on the Gilmore Girls).

                Lastly Peggy Olson (Elizabeth Moss), finally leaves Don, and the agency. The scene is way over due, and touching between the two.  She is on to more money and a position as copy chief at another agency.  Though she is on good terms with Don, it is going to be interesting to see what happens. Like I said, this show seems only to improve each year, and I look forward to the 6th season of Mad Men.

No comments:

Post a Comment