Friday, July 20, 2012

You're Either in or You're Out!



            I preface this blog by saying, it is about entertainment which is my joy!!It is meant to be fun!  With that in mind, as Tim Gunn, my very favorite fashion guru would say, I am having a "Wow moment". That is right, Project Runway is back.  I dream about sewing wonderful Avant Garde fashion.  My sewing machine sits lonely waiting for companionship.  My talent is non existent, though my desire is great.  I will someday conquer my fears of inadequacy turn it on, pull out a pattern (of which I have dozens of) and sew.
 
           Until then I will be more than happy to watch Project Runway, side with my favorite designer and watch their trials and tribulations. This is the 10th year of Project Runway. I discovered them the second year, and was a huge fan of the woman who won season 2, Chloe Dao. I became a  Project Runway devotee.  One of the most miraculous recoveries I saw was the winner of season 9, Anya Ayoung Chee.  During one of the challenges she lost all her monies over $100. She was able to scrounge up $2.00 and change, and some left over fabric from some one. She won the challenge.  Anya had 4 months of sewing before Project Runway, and she won. That for me was like a touch down in the last 10 seconds of the Super Bowl, with the scores tied. It was exciting.

              Like a lot of you my favorite character is Tim Gunn.  Though the designers change, Tim Gunn can always be found impeccably dressed, and genuinely helpful. His famous "designers, make it work", echos in my mind when I am faced in my own life with a dilemma. "Chop, Chop, Chop, go, go,go", as he pushes the designers to finish their creations in the nick of time.  He appears conservative, yet on the edge of flamboyant. He is a wonderful mentor to the designers, and is absolutely beloved.

              Then there are the judges, Michael Kors, Nina Garcia and the creator of Project Runway Heidi Klum.  I have to say about Heidi, that she won me over on The Tonight Show years ago when she was wearing for Victoria Secret this amazing bra that was full of diamonds and gemstones.  She was funny, good humored and seemed like someone you would love to hang out with. It has proven the same for me all the years I have watched, whether she is pregnant Heidi(which she has been a few times) or non pregnant Heidi.  She has that great kiss of death to the newly ousted designer, "auf weidersehen", as she kisses each cheek. Michael Kors wonderful designer calling your dress "boring", or beautiful Nina Garcia calling your clothes "sad',  has got to be disheartening.  There is always one famous guest judge to pick over the designers creations  the hopefuls show up with. 

             So tonight, is the first night, of many wonderful nights watching the bizarre and the talented parade their clothes down the runway.  Tonight Project Runway opened their first judging after real runway show. It was wonderfully shot outside in NYC with a ton of fans watching the designers, and the famous judges. The three top were Melissa Fleis of San Francisco, CA.  Her look was edgy, youthful and very black. Christopher Palu was from Massepequa, New York. His little black dress was undefinable, but he had this dress that was to die for. Michael Kors called the technique "fabric manipulation" and Christopher transformed it by sewing it into distinction.  Ven Budhu made this beautiful white pant suit with a pink bustier with a perfectly formed pink rose in the front.  Christopher Palu won the first challenge. Kooan Kosuke was barely safe with the judges fearing his designs appeared cartoony or like a joke.

               Beatrice Guapo from Marina Del Rey, California was the first to go home with a perspective Michael Kors stated, "doesn't tell who you are as a designer".  The guest judges were Patricia Field and Rory Gilmore's mother, Lauren Graham. Which made me very happy.  I was comforted at the end of the show that all was right in my small part of the world, and I wait in anticipation for the next installment of Project Runway!!

No comments:

Post a Comment